Ingredients for Tempura Shrimp
- Tiger prawns 13-14 pieces
- Chicken egg 1 piece
- Purified water (ice) 1 cup
- Ice 3 Dice
- Flour for tempura 100 grams per batter and 50 grams for sprinkling
- Sesame oil (for frying) as needed
- Main Ingredients: Shrimp, Eggs, Flour
- Serving 2 servings
- World CuisineAsian, Oriental
A glass (capacity of 240 milliliters), a kitchen scale, paper kitchen towels, a kitchen knife, a cutting board, a fine mesh sieve, a frying pan, a stove, a wooden kitchen spatula or bamboo sticks “kaizu”, a deep bowl, a whisk, a plate.
Cooking shrimp in tempura:
Step 1: prepare the shrimp.
First of all, we put a glass of purified water in the freezer. After that, take the shrimp, put them, without unpacking, in a bowl with cold running water and leave it in this form on 10-15 minutes or until completely thawed. Then we thoroughly wash them from sand, dry them with paper kitchen towels and rid seafood of their heads, as well as shells, while leaving the last phalanx of the tail.
Next, with the tip of the kitchen knife, we draw along the back of each shrimp, slightly cutting the meat tissue, and with a wooden toothpick we take out the black veins - the gastrointestinal tract.
Then, on the inner side of the tail, we make three shallow transverse incisions so that the prawns do not curl into a ball during frying, but remain even.
We dry them again with paper kitchen towels, put them on a cutting board and, using a fine mesh sieve, crush seafood on all sides with a thin layer of tempura flour, that's enough 50 grams.
Step 2: heat the oil and prepare the batter.
Now we put a small cauldron or frying pan on a strong fire and pour sesame oil there, it should be so much that the shrimp can be completely immersed there. We give the fat the opportunity to warm up well until a light haze appears on the surface, if this is not done, instead of tempura you will get "fried" seafood. After that, we immediately begin to prepare the batter! We send a chicken egg, ice water from the freezer into a deep bowl and slightly beat them with a whisk until a homogeneous consistency.
Then we put 100 grams of special flour there, mix everything again, and to keep the dough cold, add 2-3 ice cubes to it.
It is better not to neglect the temperature of the batter, otherwise when frying it will absorb excess fat, as a result of which the tempura will become wet and will not receive the desired characteristic crunch. In the resulting mixture, balls of flour are welcome, so it will take no more to prepare it 4-5 minutes.
Step 3: cook the shrimp in tempura.
After that, check the oil! With the help of a tablespoon, we drip a little batter into it, if it is curled up in a lump, slowly drops to the middle of the hot container and also slowly pops up, while doubled - the fat warmed up to the right temperature! Dip the shrimps sprinkled with flour into the dough, so that it wraps the seafood in a snow-white coat, and very carefully dip them into the hot oil.
About after 1 minute shrimp will pop up and fry well on one side. Using a wooden kitchen spatula, or rather special bamboo sticks, we turn them on the other side and brown until golden brown.
Then we transfer the finished dish to a paper kitchen towel, previously spread out on the countertop, and give it the opportunity to soak up excess fat. At this time, in the same way, we fry the rest of the shrimp. Then we spread them on a large flat dish and serve to the table with soy sauce.
Step 4: serve the shrimp in tempura.
Tempura shrimps are served warm as a snack. Seafood is laid out in a slide on a large flat dish or portioned on plates and served with soya-based sauces with added sesame, grated fresh ginger, miso soup, wine vinegar, hondashi fish broth, sake, sugar, hot chili or lemon juice, and many other products. Enjoy delicious and simple Japanese food!
Enjoy your meal!
- for frying it is better to take sesame oil, but if there is none, peanut butter is suitable or, in extreme cases, you can take refined vegetable;
- batter keeps its temperature on average from 5 to 7 minutes, therefore, if there is time, it is better to cook it in 2-3 sets, that is, in parts, before frying each serving of shrimp. For too long, the infused mixture settles quickly, as a result, the dish may turn out not so airy;
- if during the oil temperature check a piece of dough sank too quickly to the bottom of the dishes - the fat will not heat up, let it heat up well, otherwise spoil the dish!
- shrimp should be turned only 1 time, as soon as they are covered with a golden brown crust, they should be immediately removed from the heated oil and transferred to a napkin;
- other seafood, small pieces of chicken or raw vegetables, previously cut into slices 2-3 mm thick, are prepared in the same way.